Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Starter just clicks and won't turn over. JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

Starter just clicks and won't turn over.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I replaced the starter. Tried to fire it up with the new starter. It turned over but it seemed like it was not getting fuel but had fuel in the tank. Then after multiple attempts to start the starter pooped out. I replaced the fuel pump hoping to solve the fuel problem but now all I get from the starter is a click with no rotation. Battery is full. This is a two engine set up and the other starts fine off the same battery. Then I thought it may be the starter and fuel pump relays. Replaced those and still no strength in the starter.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: That just about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the make model and serial number of the engine please?Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volvo penta gxi-e(###) ###-####4012159531
I will get a volt meter
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok What is the engine model number. 5.7??? Clicking is usually a bad connection delivering low voltage to the starter. So we need to determine where the voltage loss is and the bad connection or failing component.Check the voltage at the starter large terminal where the battery cable connects when the key is in the crank position. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a volt meter
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Check the voltage at the starter large terminal where the battery cable connects when the key is in the crank position.What is your voltage reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am by myself. I will not be able to turn the key and get a reading at the same time.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok try this with a jumper wire jump from the small yellow/red wire terminal B to the battery connection A on the starter. What is your voltage reading on the battery cable connection on the starter. http://i.imgur.com/SbZmo0h.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A jumper wire. I am going to have to find someone to run these tests. I don't have a jumper wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You can even use a screw driver to do the connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait. What does it mean when I crank the key all the way everything go dark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the ignition switch?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No not key switch. Since it worked at first then got worse you have a bad connection. Have you checked all the battery cable connections on the engine and the battery? A loose or corroded connection cause these symptoms. Remove each connection clean with wire brush or sand paper then refasten. Do this to both positive and negative cable connections on the battery and the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only connection I haven't checked is the ground wires on the engine.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The grounds are as important as the positive. Testing voltage at different places will tell us exactly where the problem is. Without testing it is just a guess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the ground wires in the morning. Thanks.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok keep me posted.