Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I am replacing my trim pumps. just got them. SAE J1171 - mercury

Customer Question

I am replacing my trim pumps. just got them. SAE J1171 - mercury - what fluid should I use?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: what pump oil for SAE J1171
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.What engine are you working with?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
mercury optimax - 2003 pro xs 250
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Ok, the fluid that came in them is Mercury Power Steering and Trim fluid. you can pick that up at most any Mercury dealer. The SAE J1171 is just a standard rating meaning that the electrical part is ignition protected and approved for the use in boats.