Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Timing on my 1968 Johnson outboard 33hp. I seared the flywheel

Customer Question

Timing on my 1968 Johnson outboard 33hp. I seared the flywheel pin. How bad of shape am I in?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I think I need to set the timing on my engine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine model number please? What makes you think the timing is off?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
RXE-13B. I think it is off because while I had the engine opened up, it started jumping and shaking the boat violently. When I took off the flywheel the pin was seared off
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok there is no adjustments to set timing on this engine. Your engine is a 1965. Does the engine still shake after replacing the key? The reason you could have this bad vibration could be bent prop shaft, misfiring cylinder due to failed coil or spark plug wire grounding out. If the engine is jerking like you are hitting something this could be the lower unit jumping out of gear. Timing will not cause this issue.The shearing of the key in most likely the lower unit jumping in and out of gear. When it slams back in gear the inertia of the flywheel shears the key. The other thing that causes shearing of the flywheel key is the flynut not being torques. Check the gear lube in the lower unit do you see any metal?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did place the lower housing. But the gears seemed to switch no problem. I replaced the pin but I just couldn't get it started again. It is apart now and the pin is seared again. I have new points coils and condensers. That was the problem before. How do I check to see is gears are jumping.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
What are you torquing the flywheel nut at? In the lower unit you will need to inspect the clutch dog and forward gear. The lugs on the clutch dog and the for gear should be square if they are rounded then that is the reason it jumps out of gear. The engine will be ok at lower rpms but when you get to higher rpms the clutch will disengage for gear and then slam back into gear due to the load.# ***** is the clutch dog and 33 is for gear. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/380576-GEARCASE-GROUP.gif In this pic is a clutch dog see the 2 lugs they should look like these. If the corners are rounded they are bad. The for gear should look the same square corners. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/nogAAOxyIAZRtgwJ/$T2eC16NHJHwFG08uWM(UBRtgwJUkz!~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F To inspect pull the bottom cover # ***** off the lower unit. Disconnect the shift rod coupler # ***** so the shift rod slides down with the gears.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I torque the fly wheel to 45.....I will have to wait until tomorrow to get into the lower unit
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
The flywheel nut should be torques to 105 ft. lbs.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Damn that is a lot of torque. How would I be able to get that. I don't think I am strong enough to hole the shafts in place and torque it down
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
You need a flywheel holding fixture or a strap wrench. Yeah if you don't torque it to that it will keep shearing the key. Here is the flywheel holding fixture. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-23800-Flywheel-Turner/dp/B000FN7JE2