Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have mercury 225 efi 99 model. Boat not running great. It

Customer Question

I have mercury 225 efi 99 model. Boat not running great. It used to run 69 loaded down full of tackle and fuel but hit stump had to put a new foot on and replace the crank. Got it back from machanic and would only run 65, then it started doing this thing where I lost rpms from 5800 to 5000 or less and only run 52 for a little while and it would catch a gear and speed back up for a min and then bog back down. This has been going on for the past year but I havent got to fish much so I haven't let it bother me until this past weekend it did its usual thing of bogging to 5000 rpms but never came out of it like it used to. And when I shut it off and fished for a while when I cranked back up and tried to put it in gear it would shut off. It did this the rest of the time had to rev motor up to little over a thousand to get it in gear and hold throttle steady to nurse it back to ramp. Just wouldn't idle and couldn't give it any gas to make it go.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist youHave you replaced the coil yet?what was the running fuel pressure and the compression?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were within spec range and coil is on the way in the mail. Is the tps reading ok or does it need to be over 3.8?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That looks pretty good. .1V is not going to make that much difference. After you hit the stump, was the prop damaged and was it repaired?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Repaired. I said stump but was actually floating log just under surface. I think the machanic ordered the wrong gear ratio when it was all replaced it is 1.75 now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually had the chance to run a brand new prop just like my old one that had to be repaired and got same results.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What is the serial number of the engine, I will see what it came with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No idea right now. I will have to get back with you on that. I have it stored inside a few miles away. I should tell you the warning lights and tones lead me to the tps according to manual. That's why I was asking about that.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You had two lights flashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes oil and water alternating flashes with beeps. Just replaced water pump too
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, any chance you could get the serial number tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can. I know you want to research but have you ever heard of these symptoms.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have. 1 bad coil could actually effect as many as 3 others. It is the way that that the grounds are tied together for them. Your TPS warning, was it at idle or WOT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes idle.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Applying just a bit of throttle cleared it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wouldnt say cleared it. But was able to keep it running for a bit. It continued to lose rpms and try to cut off when I would have rpms at around 1200-1500. I unplugged map sensor one time and it cleared it but when I tried that again it did not help.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, did you check for water in the fuel?What length shaft is the motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get that serial number and get back with you tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes pulled the fuel filter/ water separator, no water in that. And it is a 25 in I think
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That sounds good. Normally I have a day job, but I just had my knee worked on today, so I will be on here all day. Talk to you then.