Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1993 30hp evinrude no matter what I do I can't get

Customer Question

I have a 1993 30hp evinrude no matter what I do I can't get it to idle it just dies on me and at full throttle it don't seem to get the power it should I cleaned all jets and got a rebuild kit for carb but no change I notice that when I put my hand half way covering carb intake it will idle fine
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello Josh. My name is***** you rebuilt the carb that leaves the problem as an air leak. You are getting to much air. This can be a gasket # ***** leaking or the top cover # ***** of the carb. Is the top to the carb warped or is the plastic cover cracked? When you tighten the screws on the top cover are you snugging the screws or torqueing the screws? If the intake gasket # ***** & 12 is leaking it will cause to much air to enter the combustion chamber causing a lean fuel condition. When you cover the carb you are blocking the air flow.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Have you tried adjusting the idle jet # *****?