Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA

I have a 2015 vx deluxe waverunner and I haven't had

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2015 vx deluxe waverunner and I haven't had the first maintenance done but at end of last summer seemed like there was a little problem starting it. I did not used it for a couple of weekends and it gave me trouble but once it was on and running it was good. I haven't used it in 6 months. Was wondering with the problem I had towards end of summer last year does the battery need to be replaced?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?Depending on how the battery was stored can have a great effect on its life, do you have a battery charger and also would you have a multi-meter as we can check it and get an idea the state of health ?Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The battery was just kept in the waverunner and no I don't have anyway to check it out. I just want to know what is best route to go it's my first waverunner
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Joseph, well batteries when being stored should be maintained when not being used, these small batteries do to the size what happens is sulfation can occur when the battery voltage drops to an extremely level. Here is what I would do, is give the battery a good charge @ 2-4 amps for about 14 hours, this will bring the battery up to charge and if any sulfation started it can reverse it.With the engine management systems today, when the voltage drops below 12 volts your can run into runnibility issues that's why its always recommended that you get install a battery tender so when the ski is not in use it will actually maintain the battery to the correct level.Also stabilizing the fuel is recommended when the ski is going to sit for any amount of times, I would suggest also would go to an O'reilly auto parts store and get a bottle of Techron, its made by Chevron and run a bottle of that through a tank of gas, that will help if you have a fouled up injector and will also clean the carbon in the combustion chamber.If the problem with hard starting were to continue then you might check the fuel to see if water got into the tank that can occur if the unit was ever turned upside down in the water and sat there for any amount of time.And lastly, change spark plugs if hard starting continuesThanks Joseph, let me know of you have any further questions, I'll be glad to answerKenny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank u so much for the help and the advise I try to call some shops and they are like well bring it in and it's $119 to check it out. I just bought a battery tendor on Amazon it's a 12v one I going to try to charge it and see if that works. I going to the store to by the fuel thing and see if that helps to. I need to take it in for its first service on it and they said they are going to change the spark plugs then so if anything else comes up I will ask away and I appreciate your time and patience..
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks appreciate it, if you want I can check to see if you have warranty ? if you are in warranty and you have a runnibility issue Yamaha will pay the dealer to check it out, you have to go to an authorized Yamaha watercraft dealer, I'm sure its nothing, so my suggestion would be to take it in for the 1st service (which is good for many reasons) and you can mention to them so its on record that you had a starting issue last year.You technically don't need plugs so soon, but sometimes you can foul one or it just fouls, they should charge you about 2 hours of labor and parts, depending on there labor rate you are looking at about $300 or less, the first service is a glorified oil change, the biggest thing is having them go over all the hose clamps and fasteners as they settle in when new.But if you want me to check your unit if its still in warranty I would need your HIN (hull number)ThanksKenny