Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1998 Maxum 1900SR with the 3.0L. On it's first time

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Maxum 1900SR with the 3.0L.
On it's first time out this Spring, it idled just fine, then when I tried to smoothly accelerate, it hesitated....consistently, but after babying it on up to cruise speed, it ran smoothly. But after 20 minutes at cruise and coming to a complete stop, it hesitated when re-accelerating.
Next day back home... boat on the trailer with the flame arrestor off, I see that the choke (electric) never moves from its initial (almost closed) setting even after warming for 15 minutes. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello David. My name is***** need to check for voltage to the choke. Turn key on do you have voltage on the purple wire?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes. 12.3v
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok since the choke isn't moving with key on the choke module is bad and will cause engine to run poorly.Try this loosen the screws on the choke module. Start engine let warm up then turn choke module to open the choke does engine run better?