Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1998 SeaRay 190 bow rider with a 5.0 L mercruiser.

Customer Question

I have a 1998 SeaRay 190 bow rider with a 5.0 L mercruiser. When I turn the key to start the engine on the ignition buzzer sounds and will not shut off. Whgat can I do?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello Bill. My name is***** the buzzer continue after you have started the engine?If yes then we need to find the sensor that has shorted sounding the buzzer. Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Tan,
yes the buzzer continues to go off until the motor is shut off.
my boat is at the lake so I do not have access the engine's SN.
Where are the sensors located & how do I locate the shorted out one?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a wire that I can disconnect?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
You have sensors on the thermostat housing and next to the oil sending unit then the gear lube monitor. The wire that connects to these sensors is tan with a blue stripe. Turn key on then disconnect wire at each sensor. When the buzzer goes off that is the bad sensor. If the buzzer continues to sound at one sensor reconnect and go to the next. You only have to disconnect one wire on the bottom of the gear lube monitor. Now if the gear lube monitor is low on lube fill and check for the buzzer. It could be that you are just low on gear lube. Post back with questions.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
The oil pressure sender is down by the oil filter. This will be next to the oil pan port side of the engine at the rear of the engine.