Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

There, I am ***** ***** JA: Thanks. Can you give me any

Customer Question

Hi there, I am ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hello...I have a Yamaha F60 EFi 4 stroke - the engine check light is blinking and the engine will not perform under load above 2500 RPM (it will rev freely in neutral)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.I have a few questions back for you. What gauge do you have? What year is the engine?Please let me know and we can go forth with finding out what is wrong with your engine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi..the gauge is a Yamaha digital TACH (round face). I am not sure the engine year - I think Yamaha have stopped putting year identification on serial numbers. I think it is around 2007 - The Yamaha ID plate on the bracket reads "6C6 L FT60DET L(###) ###-####F"I suspect, given the engine check symbol is blinking (constant on/off) and that the engine will not go beyond 2,500 RPM under load that an electronic fault code may have arisen and the engine is in some sort of "safe mode" - the problem I have is that I am nowhere near anyone that has the equipment to read these fault codes. Other that the engine not going beyond 2,500 RPM under load the engine seems to be functioning perfectly.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a few items that we can look at to see if they may be causing the code, although these are just a few of the items.First, look at the fuel filter on the engine. Remove the cup on it and pour it into a glass jar. Allow it to settle out, then make sure that there is not two layers in it.Next, with the engine running on a water supply, check the voltage at the starter solenoid and at the battery using a multimeter. If it is not at least 12.5 you may have a charging issue and we will need to look further into that.