Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2003 Searay 220 deckboat. Temp guage reads 200 when

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Searay 220 deckboat. Temp guage reads 200 when running. Is this normal?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? No it is not normal, it is to hot. A raw water cooled engine where seawater runs through the engine should run about 160 at full throttle. A freshwater cooled engine that uses antifreeze and a heat exchanger should run about 175F at full throttle. That being said, a couple of questions back to you. 1. Have you verified the engines temps by using an IR temp gun and scanning the thermostat housing? 2. Which engine is in the boat, and does it have open or closed cooling? 3. How many hours are on the boat, and it is fresh or saltwater? 4. Does the boat have an alpha or a bravo sterndrive?