Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 99 Johnson 25hp two stroke outboard. I have cleaned

Customer Question

I have a 99 Johnson 25hp two stroke outboard. I have cleaned the carburetor, twice, replaced the plugs and the small screen/filter leading into the fuel pump. It idles fairly well, but still bogs down and misfires badly when accelerating. If i have it throttled up and hit the choke quickly, it starts to take off. I have been told this could be a bad coil, but would that explain it taking off smoothly for a couple seconds when the choke is open? The fuel tank and line is less than a year old as well.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm not really sure what other details would be helpful.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would add that it seems to kick when misfiring. I bought it very cheap off a guy who said he hadn't run it for 2 or 3 years.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello Geoff. My name is***** the engine runs better with choke on you have a carburetor issue. To find the misfire you will need a timing light. Connect the light to the top cylinder run the boat till it starts misfiring then watch the flash of the timing light. It should be steady. If it is steady move to the next cylinder. Repeat the process till you find the misfire. When you locate the misfire swap that coil with one of the other coils does the misfire move? Is it possible you have debris in the fuel tank or old fuel that could be clogging the small ports in the carb causing the issue?