Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I just finished working on my Sea doo 1996 GTI Bombardier.

Customer Question

I just finished working on my Sea doo 1996 GTI Bombardier. I replaced the starter and starter solenoid and it turned on! The engine turned over right away but it would not actually start. I attempt several times to take the key out, place it back in, and then hit the start button. The last time I tried, i hit the start button, the engine turned over, did not fully start...but then the engine would not turn off. I let go of the start button but it kept going, pulled the lanyard, and it kept going. I have never had this happen before....
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: That is it for now I believe
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today. Being a 1996 it should be an DESS system meaning it runs through the mpem. It sounds like you may have fused the solenoid contacts, excessive cranking can cause this as well as overheating and damaging the starter and wiring. Start by checking the small crank signal wire to the solenoid which should have no voltage unless you are pressing the start/stop button, if it does not and starter is getting power this means a dead short at or after the solenoid such as a bad solenoid, if that small signal wire has voltage without you trying to start then check the switch first and then rest of wiring for shorts leaving the mpem as the very last thing meaning you have checked everything else first. Thank you!- JoePlease rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated. If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.