Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

When I shift into forward there is a dead spot in between where

Customer Question

When I shift into forward there is a dead spot in between where the throttle actual moves. Right after that dead spot it's like it hits a rough spot. Once you get pass that spot it moves fine. This doesn't happen in reverse. Any ideas on the rough spot?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** could be something rubbing at the engine or in the control itself. Disconnect the throttle cable from the engine then operate the control do you feel the hard spot still? If yes then the problem is in the control. Remove the control and inspect for spots where the control is rubbing. Grease the are and operate the control. If it still ahs the bad spot then you will have to replace the control as something is worn and causing this to cause your issue.The chances are it is the control as it doesn't do this in reverse. But lets eliminate the possibility of the cable binding or rubbing. Post back with questions and findings.I will need the control make and model if you need assistance with it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Manufacturer: MERCURY/QUICKSILVER
Manufacturer Part #: 881170A13Quicksilver Side Mount Control 881170A13 fits for MY2005 and newer 8/9.9 Four Stroke outboards above S/N OR192772 and new 15/20 4 Stroke engines, 2006 - 25- 300 HP 4 Stroke and any engine that has the 14 pin connector from the primary harness. Gen I cables are required with this control.That is the control kit. I just bought the boat and I was told this was just replaced. It looks brand new as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Or its a control that looks like this one at least
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also is there suppose to be that dead spot. I have the dead spot going forward and reverse. I'm guessing its for shifting into forward and reverse just in case you move it too far forward and reverse it doesn't change the throttle. Is that correct?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
The slack spot give you time to get shifted before it gives the engine throttle. This is designed this way. Since it is new I would use it and see if it gets easier. Did they say why they replaced the control?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No they did not.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok all we ca do at this point is do the checks I posted earlier. If you have a bad cable it can cause this. They don't always act the same in for as reverse.Can you ask why they replaced the control? This might help in finding an issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No they didn't say why they replaced it. They said they replaced the cables as well. This rough spot doesn't happen when you rev it in neutral either.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
I would use then and see if it gets worse. The only thing I can suggest is to disconnect both the throttle and shift cables and see how it feels. If you still feel it there isn't much that can be done as it is new. If you don't have the issue we need to go further with the engine as a possible cause. You should be able to grab the throttle linkage on the engine and it should move freely. Do the same with the shift operate it manually from where the cable connects to the motor..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I don't have the hard spot with the upper shift cable disconnected and the throttle connected. Should the interrupt switch be hit when you shift into gear? On the reverse its being hit but on the forward its not. The reverse works well and the forward doesnt
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
The shift switch is for taking the engine out of gear. When you pull on the lever it contacts the interrupt switch relaxing the gears in the lower unit so you can pull it out of gear. This is so you don't go from forward to reverse from pulling the gear out of gear.When you put the engine in gear you should pop it in gear don't ease into gear.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In neutral the switch is not pressed. When I shifted to reverse the switch would get pressed. Then going back to neutral the switch is released. When I shift to forward the switch isn't getting pressed and stays the same from forward to neutral. I'm guessing it's suppose to press it in forward?? Is that correct??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is a yes or no question
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I can't adjust it to where that works in both positions. It looks like they replaced all of the cables except the lower shift cable. Could it be the problem?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
What engine do you have? Could I get an engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
V07318MH. Can you tell me what little that is? I'm guessing it's a 1998 5.0L. I think I see the problem. To get the shift interrupt to hit I have to adjust it to where the plastic hits the adjuster. That's when I get the hard spot. I don't think there is enough adjustment on the cable. Is there any afujment up at the shifter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is on the upper that I'm adjusting. The lower is for adjusting reverse I figured out.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
That isn't the engine serial number. http://www.mercruisermotor.com/images/Serialnumber_Location.jpg You can't check the shift interupt out of the water the boat has to be in the water. There is no load on the gears so it won't activate the switch. The way the cables are adjusted is the bottom cable coming from the drive has a specific dimension. With the drive in forward gear cable pushed all the way in it must measure 6 inches from the center of the hole in the end of the cable to the center of the barrel. Then you adjust the top cable so it fits in the bracket without moving the bottom cable.The reverse is adjusted by the bolt that goes through the bottom shift cable end.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Here is the cable adjustment for the cable to the drive. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/oldnewenglandmarine/2012-07-14_130849_sc.jpg http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JA/jacksparrow1956/2013-02-04_161817_scan0006.jpg
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can not get to where i can read the serial number. That is all i have. The original cover that goes on the carburetor is gone.I'm pretty sure having it in the water isn't going to make a difference but I will give it a try tomorrow and adjust it. I have also read that you are suppose to tun the propeller all the way counterclockwise when adjusting. Is that talking about turning the steering?There is also another spring loaded tube that fits on beside the upper shift cable that I'm guessing puts tension on it to always fall into neutral in case a cable breaks. I can get it to where the cable shifts smoothly without this tube but then when i add it its really hard to shift. Do I have to have that?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
No turning the propeller. This is with the boat out of the water. You can do all the adjustments out of the water. You just won't be able to tell if the shift interrupt switch is activating till the boat is in the water. The load on the prop in the water is what makes the interrupt switch activate. I have been working on these thing for over 40 years. Get the adjustments correct then install the spring loaded tube. The tube assists in shifting in the water with normal operation. You shouldn't be shifting the drive with the engine not running. All of this stuff works when engine is in the water under normal conditions. When you are out of the water it is not normal conditions. There is no need to shift the drive out of the water and it is dangerous.