Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Hola , in Mexico have 60 hp Yamaha enduro the steering is frozen.

Customer Question

Hola , in Mexico have 60 hp Yamaha enduro the steering is frozen. Tried wd40 tried banging on it, should I try heat and what else might I try. I am a fisherman in a small village and cannot afford maintenance and need to have my boat work to survive. Please help. FYI nice American girl is sending this message I only speak Spanish.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Was sitting for about 2 months . Heavy saltwater use. Will not move at all. Engine is in great condition just cannot get steering to release.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** any of the steering rod is sticking out on the port side of the engine try putting a pair of vise grip pliers on the rod. Now see if the rod will twist in the tilt tube. Try this and post back with findings.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will try and let you know shortly.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok if you get the rod to turn have a friend hold pressure on the steering wheel turning clockwise. Then twist the rod spraying with wd40. Once you get it moving just keep working it till steering is free. Don't force the steering wheel just hold pressure on the wheel. Post back with findings.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Did you have any luck?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was dark before we could try the things you suggested will try in the morning. I'm a visitor here trying to help some of the local fisherman in Mahuhual Mexico .i spent many years with boats and my father and when he said he could not steer the motor I figured it seemed due to saltwater corrosion. Will investigate in the morning.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok keep me posted.