Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

I have a 1994 90Hp Mariner, the trim motor seize, so I

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1994 90Hp Mariner, the trim motor seize, so I replaced the trim motor with like for like parts both reservoir and motor component. I put it all back together, and motor works, sounds like it should but it does not trim up or down. I have bled the hydraulic pump up and down, with reservoir cap both on and off, then topped up the trim fluid. Any suggestions on what to do next…. thanks
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no, thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I've paid the fee, when are you going to answer? thanks Trevor,***@******.*** (that is what I paid using paypal)
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. So is the motor not tilting at all or just tilts a little bit and cuts out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the motor sounds like it is working and will continue as long as you hold the button, but it will not go up or down
Ok, when you replaced the motor did you make sure that the plunger is in its place in the pump?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where is the plunger, when placing the motor & reservoir I made sure that the motor was sitting properly on the drive shaft. I've attached the manual of the power trim that I have. Page 7 and 8 has the diagram and part names
Yes the plunger is the drive shaft, ok another thing to check is the manual release (42), make sure it is fully tighten. As for the bleeding, you need to fill the reservoir to the top with the engine in the full up position, then close the tap and trim down and up and retop until there is no more air leaks. Please advise if you have already done all this. Noel
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have already done this and the manual release is tight
Ok, if it is not moving at all then the problem should be in the drive shaft area, remove the pump again and recheck the drive shaft again that is located properly as it sometimes does not locate, if still does not work then it looks like the pump is defective and would require service or repair.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should the drive shaft move freely? or only under high charge from the motor, as I cannot move it with my hand?
It should be rotated freely by hand
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i'll take a look in the daylight tomorrow, thanks
ok keep me updated