Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2004 Mercury 115 outboard Jet motor. While raising

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mercury 115 outboard Jet motor. While raising the motor, the power trim will raise the motor approximately 1/4"of the way. I have checked the fluid level (its full). Where should I go next?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once raised 1/4" of the way it stops raising. The motor still runs. then the motor will bleed down an inch or two before stopping. It does not bleed down all the way.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.What this is sounding like is that either the manual release valve is loose or the end of it is broken off. You will need to get a large flat tip screwdriver and make sure that the screw is tight. It is located on the right side of the trim system. If the valve is closed tight and the trim still stops or bleeds down, open the valve and allow some fluid to pass through it to flush it some, then close the valve and try the trim again. If that does not work, you will need to replace the valve. Any questions that you may have, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the valve, allowed fluid to pass through the valve and topped off the fluid level (full). The motor still only raises about 1/4 of the way up and bleeds down an inch or two. What next??? Also what fluid should I use??? It has ATF in it.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
ATF is fine. Some models used that. is the fluid milky at all in the system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's not.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Alright, was any work done to the trim system recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the manual release valve in it. That's all.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
With the unit not rimming properly, you are going to either have a sticking check valve, or an issue with the pump. Either way, the system is going to need to come out of the bracket and onto a bench to be opened up.