Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have a 200hp 2000 mercury EFi, very slow to get on plane plus

Customer Question

have a 200hp 2000 mercury EFi, very slow to get on plane plus i only top out at 5200-5400 rpms
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Charles. Thank you for requesting meWould you please post the serial number of the engine?What kind of boat is this on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ill have to get the serial number later. Its on a 20 ft Bass Cat boat. the boat is currently at storage.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hi, you had replied when I stepped away for dinner. What was the top RPM that you could get?When was the last time that the engine ran correctly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5300 rpm, 3 weeks ago
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
That is the max that you have ever gotten from the engine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
For the last three weekends its had this problem, I replaced the fuel line from tank to motor with an Mercury made line a year ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no, 6000 is my top end
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Have you changed anything on the load out of the boat, replaced the prop, or had the boat bottom painted?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No changes
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Ok, sounds like you are down a cylinder. Now to figure out why. Can you remove the plugs and take a look at the firing end of them, what color are they? Can you post a pic here?How old is the fuel?Can you do a spark output test and a compression test?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can when I can get to my boat tomorrow. I can send a pic to. I cant do a plug test or compression. Whats most common, bad plug, stator? Ive had the boat for 12 years and have never changed the plugs.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the fuel has been ran thru and refilled a bunch, so its new
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Oh, then yes install a new set and give that a try first. They should be replaced every other year on a two stroke engine. They do get fouled.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is there a way to test the cylinder pack and or the stator with a volt meter
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Yes there is. Are the coils on your engine black and have a 4 wire plug on them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
does the bad plug have a brunt color to it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes i believe so
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the power pack was replaced bout 4 years ago as well
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
A bad spark plug could be white in the end, or it could be really black and oily.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Your engine look like this on the back?http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/V-200%20%28EFI%29/0G960500%20THRU%200T408999/CDM%20MOUNTING/parts.html
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Looking for the correct test on the coils.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
You can use the test on this page to test the CDM'shttp://www.go2marine.com/productcenters/electrical/merc-force.pdf