Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Engine won't shift all the way into reverse. It just bangs

Customer Question

engine won't shift all the way into reverse. It just bangs like it is trying to catch the reverse gear. evinrude 225 hp 1986
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** tried disconnecting the shift cable at the engine and shifting the engine manually?Could I get the engine model number please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I didn't disconnect the shift cable. FYI there is no adjustment left in the cable. E225TXCDA
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok we need to disconnect the shift cable and check the shift. If the engine shifts then you have a worn out shift cable or a bad control box. If the engine doesn't shift correctly then we have a gear case issue or worn out linkage. Depending on the engine model number some had shift linkage failures due to bad welds.I will need the engine model number to know if this is one of those engines. When you disconnect the shift cable check the linkage for slop and that is shifts correctly.Post back with questions and findings.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
E225TXCDA is the model number
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok got the model number. Look at this bracket closely for cracks in the weld. The weld on the end of the shift lever # ***** is the part that breaks. The arrow points to where the shift lever cracks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the part you showed me is fine and when I disconnect the cable it still won't engage the reverse. Please advise
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok is the shift on the engine sloppy with lots of play? If yes then you have to replace the bushings in the shift linkage. If tight then you have a lower unit issue. The lower unit has to be removed disassembled and inspected.