Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Have a 1999 chapparell 200 le that is not getting fuel. I got

Customer Question

Have a 1999 chapparell 200 le that is not getting fuel. I got it to fire off by putting a splash of gas on the throttle body. Purging the gas line and get fire and the fuses look good. Really don't know where to go from here.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello Cody. My name is***** get the make model and serial number of the engine please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
5.0 mercruiser not sure where I find the serial number but where are the fuses for the fuel injection located
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have verified that the pump is pushing the gas but it seems like the injectors arent getting the message
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
The serial number will be on top of the engine on the cover or down by the starter. Here is a diagram of the location. Have you checked fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, getting pressure the punp
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
What is the fuel pressure reading?To determine if the injectors are firing you will need a scan tool to read the engine codes and faults. The ecm controls the injectors.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure how to determine the fuel pressure. Pulled the fuel line off the throttle body and turned it over and fuel came out. I'm not a mechanic, if you can't tell.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
It takes a special fitting to go between the fuel line and the throttle body. The fuel pressure must be 30 psi for the engine to run. This is not going to be something you are going to be able to fix. This requires special tools. You will need a scan tool to see if the ECM is signaling the injectors to fire. Since the fuel pump is running there isn't much else you can do at this point. The scan tool will read the outputs of the ECM. Sorry I wish there was something we could do that was an easy fix but we are beyond easy.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yep. I'm afraid so
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Since they went to electronic engines it is really hard for the DIYer to fix their own boats anymore.