Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

When i start it runs great but give it gas will not rev up

Customer Question

when i start it runs great but give it gas will not rev up
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and see exactly what you have. What is the history on this engine, when did it last run correctly? Did anything happen to it? How old is the fuel in the tank?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
serial# ***** I hit a under water old railroad bed it starts and goes in gear forward& reverse but when you give it the gas it still idles
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
When you say it still idles, are the engines rpms high but there is no thrust from the propeller? Or are the engine rpms low when you try to give it gas?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the engines RPM are low there are thrust to the propeller it moves the boat at idle but when you push forward
rpm dose not channe in forward the same backward
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
The engine will need some troubleshooting in order to try and figure out the problem. Troubleshooting starts with checking engine compression, checking spark output, checking fuel pressure with the going as fast as it will go, and running the engine off of another fuel source. Are those things you have the tools for and able to check?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
If you do not have the tools then this isn't something we can troubleshoot together. Did you have any specific questions for me, or was there some way I could help you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no i will have to take it to repair shop