Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2006 Johnson 115hp oil injected 2stroke outboard and

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Johnson 115hp oil injected 2stroke outboard and it got low on oil, it was not out of oil but would die which I figured was the low oil protection kill. I verified the oil lines are all still primed with oil which they were and filled the tank and followed the steps for priming oil system per owners manual. I also performed a compression test (ok). The problem is since it ran low on oil and died I've had no spark. I am very familiar with Polaris oil injected 2strokes. There was an old trick to shortcut the ignition by disconnecting the black wire with white stripe but I can't find it. I did replace a coil pack 2 years ago but when it went I only dropped one cyl. Any help would be great, I'm disabled and on a fixed income so can't afford for these shops to throw parts instead of diagnos.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine model number please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
J115JPLEEC
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please feel free to call me if a more detailed description of the events leading up to the failure.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
On the top of the power pack unplug the harness with the black/yellow wire. Now check for spark. Do you have spark. This will be the harness on the port side of the power pack. Ypu will have to remove the cover to access this plug.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok we need to disconnect the rectifier /regulator. Unplug the large red wire does spark return?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't see a connector. Large red wire coming out of regulator. There is a yellow/green yellow wire combo with a connector right out of the regulator.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Unplug the connector.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yellow yellow or green tan. 5 wires total out of regulator
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Yellow wires.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No spark
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a way to bypass the oil injection tanks kill switch?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok we need to test the stator. Do you have a ohm meter and a peak reading volt meter?There is no oil injection kill switch. The oil injection doesn't kill spark only limits the rpm. Besides we eliminated the kill circuit when we unplugged the blk/yel. Test between the brown to brown/yellow wires that plug into the power pack. The ohm spec is 40-60 and the cranking output voltage is 150+ peak volts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I let someone use it and haven't got it back. Seein what I can do now.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok the best tool is a peak reading volt meter or a DVA adapter for your volt meter. Here is a link to a DVA adapter. At the right of this page. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=dva+adapter Here is a peak reading volt meter. http://www.maxrules.com/fixtools530.html
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have a tester later tonight or tomorrow morn worst case.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok I will be around.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe it is a kill on the oil injection because I could rock the boat and keep it from dying. It would bog as if you hit the kill switch. We trolled in with the electric at that point and drove the boat on the trailer with the main motor. Putting boat in a week later starts runs fine, sputters dies and no spark. It's an OMC injection system.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Never limited the rpm. Just killed engine. Like turning the key off.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
We eliminated the kill circuit completely when we unplugged the blk/yel. This eliminates the kill circuit from the complete ignition system. Is this a fuel injected motor or carbureted? You gave me the model number for a 1999 115 Johnson. I am basing all my tests on this information you gave me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The model number is ***** right off the motor. It is carbureted with the dynamic choke system. Max rpm with the jet setup is 55-5600rpm 80hp. That's what it runs at and the only problem I've had is hard cold start after sitting.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Then all the info I have given you is correct. We need to check the stator for voltage out put. We eliminated all kill circuits.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the volt/ohm meter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the delay but I had to round one up.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Ok locate the brown and brown/yellow wire at the power pack. Test between the 2 wires disconnected from power pack.You should have(###) ###-####ohms. If you have a peak reading volt meter then testing the same wire at cranking speed set at 500 volts on the meter you should have 150-400 peak volts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The only brown brown/yellow wire I can find is in a weatherpack in the main wiring harness but I'm not sure if that's the correct wire
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
These wires will be plugged into the top of the power pack at the back of the engine. These wire run from the stator to the power pack. You will have a brown and a brown with a yellow or white stripe.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What setting should my meter be on 200 K, 2 AM, 20 K, 2K, 200 are all my om settings On the other multimeter I have under arm settings I have 200, 2000, 20 K, 200 K, 2000 K
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
Any setting that will read(###) ###-####ohms. I can't tell you how to use your meter as they are all different.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And if I get no reading across those two wires ?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
The stator is bad and would explain the loss of spark.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will verify and get back to you ASAP.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.
ok great.