Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2001 Johnson outboard 2stroke; has been starting and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Johnson outboard 2stroke; has been starting and running fine. Last time out, I oil to the oil tank, all was well, but upon docking, it stalled out. Not it's hard to start, and when it does, it will not idle. There is also an oily residue on top of the water after starting. Could the different oil be the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** could be an ignition issue or a flooding issue. We need to check that you have spark on all cylinders. This requires the use of a spark gap tester or a timing light. Can you check spark?The other thing we can test is squeeze the primer bulb. Does it get hard or continue to pump? Could I get the engine model number please?