Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1996 22.5 bR ss bayliner with a 454 (7.4L). It's been

Customer Question

I have a 1996 22.5 bR ss bayliner with a 454 (7.4L). It's been sitting for a couple yrs. Clicks when you try to start it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Rapid clicking
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** is poor battery voltage, bad battery connections or a bad start solenoid.Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests to find the problem?Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok...hold on ... going to check the connections
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok . The battery cables must be clean and tight on both the battery and the engine positive and negative.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Put a jump box on and it turned over but really slow
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mentioned it has been sitting for a couple years without starting
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok you need to charge the battery or replace the battery. With a weak battery and a booster it isn't enough voltage to crank the engine fast. The weak battery is pulling down the booster.The average life of a marine battery is 2 years. If this is older than 2 years I would replace the battery.Turning over slowly jst means you don't have enough battery voltage.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok... I am going to replace the battery... will you be around ? It will take me a little bit 20 min
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Yes I will be around all day.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If Tan is still there??? I got the boat running and the Volts are reading low like 10-12 the gauge jumps a little
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What should the temp be after running it for 10-15 min?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
The engine temp should be 170*F +/_ 5 *F. The engine should be charging at 13.5-14.5 volts.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Check the actual voltage at the battery with rpms about 1000 rpms. If the voltage is still low check the voltage at the back of the alternator red or orange wire. Be sure that terminal is tight.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok... the alternator is located?? on that 454
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
right side?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Someone took the manual and the book for this boat... I am looking online here for a configuration diagram
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
The alternator will be on the right side facing the front of the engine. It will be the one with the cooling fins.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok.... I will do that now... BRB
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok keep me posted.