Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

How to clean fuel tank and replace fuel tank filter

Customer Question

How to clean fuel tank and replace fuel tank filter for 1988 Searay Seville 3.0l
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello Eric. My name is ***** ***** the fuel tank remove the fuel sending unit. Now get a long piece of 3/8 copper tubing some fuel hose and a portable fuel pump. Now use the copper tubing as a wand to get to the lowest point of the tank. Now suck all the old fuel and sediment out of the tank.The tank doesn't have a filter in the tank. The pick tube where the fuel supply line to the gas tank comnnects has a screen on the end of the tube. Unscrew the pick up tube from the top of the tank. Remove the screen from the end of the tube throw it away.The engine has 2 filters to catch sediment. One filter is on the bottom of the fuel pump and the other is in the carburetor where the fuel line connects to the carburetor. Post back with questions and any this you don't understand about this procedure. Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get paid. Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra charge. Thank you.........Tan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How long should the copper tubing be. Where can I find a portable fuel pump? Is it possible to filter and reuse the gas? I just filled the gas tank.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I replace the screen on the pickup tube?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
3 feet should be plenty. Go to the auto parts store and buy a electric fuel pump. No leave the screen off as you have filters to catch debris.It is possible that removing the screen will allow the filters to clean the debris out of the tank. So you may not have to pump the tank.I would remove the screen replace the fuel filters run the boat. If problem goes away then problem solved. If the problem goes away for a little while then returns change the fuel filters again. The filters may clog a couple of times till all the debris is collected from inside the fuel tank.You could add a water separator fuel filter with a screw on canister. This will catch most all of the debris and will not clog as fast as the engine filters.