Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I need a wiring diagram that shows multifunction gage hook up in order

Customer Question

i need a wiring diagram that shows multifunction gage hook up in order to trouble shoot inoperative gauges on my 2003 yahama 4 stroke.
i bought a second hand boat and both the multifunction gauges don't work at all. i've checked all the fuses i can find. Replaced a couple but didn't get even a flicker on either gauge.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? On Yamaha engine Yellow is power, black is ground, the rest is data. What you would want to do is use your multimeter and check for continuity between black and battery ground, and if none, repair the ground circuit. Then check for power on the yellow wire with the key turned to on. If no power repair the power wire between the key switch and gauge. After that, if you can verify that there is power and ground to the gauge, the gauges should come one and light up, and just show zero. If they do not turn on, then they are confirmed dead and you can go ahead and replace them at that point. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay Jason. You make sense. My name is ***** ***** I'm an auto repair shop owner with 60+years experence. I have done all you suggested except replacing the gauges. I just wanted to make sure before spending the money and then find out I overlooked something. I have a wiring diagram of the engine but have nothing about the gauges.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Roland, can you open up PDF files if I send you something in that format?