Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 30hp 4 stroke fuel injected mercury and i dont beleave

Customer Question

i have a 30hp 4 stroke fuel injected mercury and i dont beleave im getting power to my fuel pump,i took it out and tested it and it works but dont beleave its getting power
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Couple of questions back to you 1, All Mercs are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it an see which version of the 30 you have. 2. When was the last time the engine ran, and what is the history on it? 3. What makes you say it's not getting power to the pump, what are you testing to arrive at that conclusion?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my name is michael serial number or170202,the last time it run was about 2 months ago , its on a craighcat,ithink the fuel pump is fine because i took it out and use a couple of gator clips and conected it to the batterie and it seem just fine but when i put it back was still not getting any fuel so i disconnected the fuel line and cranked it over and no fuel,and there is a valve stem on the fuel rail and no pressur when i push in on it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
and when i pulled the spark plugs they are bone dry
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this why i dont beleave i am getting any power to the fuel pump,and was not sure if ther was some kind of fuel relay,fuse or if it my be in the ingition,and how would i check for that
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have owned this boat for 5 years and this is the first time i have had any issues with it not starting rights up,ihave let it sit as long as 5-7 without running it and even then its always fired up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5-7 months
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Michael, Good morning and sorry for the delay. We all do this on the side, when you last replied last night I was already off to bed. Do this as a test for me. Hook the pump and everything back up. Stand next to the motor and hold your ear to the vapor separating tank. Have a helper turn the key to run. What should happen is you should hear the fuel pump kick on for about 2 seconds to prime the system. Let me know if you can hear it or not.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Done that already,heard nothing
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Okay. Next, unplug the electrical connector for the pump and stick a voltmeter into the connector. Do the same thing and watch the meter. You should see a solid 12V for about 2 seconds each time the helper turns the key. Let me know if you get 12V, something less than 12V, or if you get nothing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do ,but it won't be until this afternoon, when I get out of work
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good, let me know what happens.