Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

I have a 1996 Mercury EFI 175, I just put it in a tank of water

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Mercury EFI 175, I just put it in a tank of water to test things out, starts and runs great, but it smokes real bad. I let it run for 15-20 minutes at different speeds, seems to smoke worse at higher speeds, shut it down and water it tank had a large amount of ugly burnt oil on surface of water. Drained water and tested again, same results, I did this four times that day with same results, worried, please help, can't find any help on line.THANKS
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The bad smoking can be coming from two things, either the injectors need cleaning or the oil injection pump is sending too much oil to the engine. Both are possible due to the age of the engine. So what i suggest you do is to get the injectors out and get them cleaned and serviced ideally in an ultrasonic bath. If the problem still persists run the boat for a normal ride and monitor the amount of fuel and oil consumed, the ratio should be of approximately 50:1. If it is burning more oil then you should get the injection pump serviced or bypassed and go for a manual mix. Keep me updated of your results and if you require further assistance let me know. Noel