Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.
8380480

Jeremy,I checked the compression, one was 125 the other

Customer Question

Jeremy,I checked the compression, one was 125 the other was a little over 120. Getting spark. So cleaned the carb. Then I took it out and the same problem. It will start easy, rev up out of gear. When I go in drive it takes of ok then when it get close to full throttle it will spit and sputter and only go like 10-15 mph. should go 25-30. Please help, any ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Your engine is a single carb motor then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to spray a shot of starting fluid in the carb while going to see if it comes to life?If it does that means you're not getting enough fuel.If it dies out a little and makes it worse then you're getting too much fuel.One of the things that can happen is the fuel pump diaphragm can get a small hole in it. That will allow fuel to flow out of the pulse side of the pump and into one of the cylinders flooding it out.If it comes to life then one thing you might try is tightening every hose connection between the fuel tank and the carbs.If it's loose at any of the connections it can suck air and make it run lean.I'd try the spray test in the carb to see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. It died when I put starting fluid in it. What now?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
One of the things that can happen is the fuel pump diaphragm can get a small hole in it. That will allow fuel to flow out of the pulse side of the pump and into one of the cylinders flooding it out.What I would do now is rebuild or replace the fuel pump.