Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1988 Merc outboard, 35 HP, on a 20 ft. Playbouy pontoon

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Merc outboard, 35 HP, on a 20 ft. Playbouy pontoon boat. I'm having the alarm sound from the oil injection system. Had engine checked out by Wilson Marine in Brighton, MI. Findings are that the beeping is because of the Oil Injection system, which is a small canister that I put the oil into. The canister is on the boat, not on the engine. I'm told that the canister (which mixes the oil with the gas) is no longer made or available. I know the oil is being mixed because I have to refill the oil at times. Mechanic suggests just adding the oil to the gas tank to fix the problem. Mechanic replaced the gas//oil hoses which he said needed replacing, and he ran boat in their pond, with no beeping going on. I see on the internet how the float/magnet works on higher end Mercury engines, but my oil canister is different looking.
Does my 1988 oil canister work the same as the higher end engines?
How is the oil mixed with the gas? I have the gas line coming from the gas tank going into the oil canister.
Can you suggest a site online where I can see how the oil canister actually works?
Your thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ron
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ron my name is ***** ***** the serial number on the engine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, I don't have it.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Mercurys are all cataloged by serial number, there is no other way for me to look up and see what you have without that number. Is that number something you can get later on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. Boat is in storage at Wilson Marine. Will be a week or two before I can get it. Where is the serial number located?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
The serial is on a sticker on the clamp bracket, starboard side. Click this link below, this is a picture showing the tags location. http://www.marineengine.com/assets/mercury_serial_number.jpg