Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Engine running good, except after drift fishing, motor off

Customer Question

Engine running good, except after drift fishing, motor off on off on. When leave area and try to power up to high speed, the speed is restricted like inadequate fuel and sputters. In normal operation, full power OK. Where could I look for fuel problem or ??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Charles, thank you for requesting me.On your engine, does the alarm work? Do you hear it test beep each time the key is turned on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alarm works, not sure if it aways beeps or not. Never thought about on water.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
As long as you hear the test beep at start up, its working.When the engine is doing this, does squeezing the primer bulb over and over help any?Do you ever get full power back on the return trip?SmartCraft gauges?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After couple minutes it will come up to full power. Bulb is hard and squeezing no help.yes have guages but no msg when low performance noted.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Have you pulled the spark plugs to see how the tips look?Have you noticed the battery voltage when this is happening?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can the auto primer only work part time?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
There is a pulse pump that draws fuel from the tank and sends it to the filter on the VST, from there it goes thru two electric pumps and then to the fuel rails. If your plugs are loading up from idling a long time or the start and stopping, this would clear up as you ran. There would also not be any alarms for this.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm still inclined to believing fuel is inadequate when rpm is restricted for few minutes on take off after drifting. Could pulse pump be faulty in this scenario? Or could fuel supply be short?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
with the primer bulb staying firm, I am not leaning toward the fuel system. IF the pulse pup was not working the bulb would be soft and when you used it, the engine would recover. If you have a gauge that can thread onto a schreader valve, we can test the pressure at two points for the electric pumps. How big is the boat that this engine is on?