Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 60 hp Johnson . It want go in reverse. The lever

Customer Question

I have a 60 hp Johnson . It want go in reverse. The lever goes in reverse and the rpms rise but boat goes no where. Also boat runs great in forward until it gets warm then it spits and sputters.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** tried disconnecting the shift cable and shifting the engine manually? Check the gear lube in the lower unit. What color is the gear lube?Do these 2 test when running the engine choke it when it sputters. Does it run better? Squeeze the primer bulb when it sputters. Does it run better?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have disconnected and shifted manually. will go check oil now. choke and bulb prime doesn't help
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
Does it shift into reverse? If yes try adjusting the shift cable to get reverse. If you get reverse now do you still have forward?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
oil is very black. I will try the shift thing
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.
Ok the oil needs to be changed but lets try to determine the shift issue. Is the shift linkage on the engine sloppy or tight?