Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a similar issue, volvo penta 2001 series 9hp diesel.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a similar issue, volvo penta 2001 series 9hp diesel. Been stood for a long while but had starter and alternator serviced, engine serviced, filters and fuel changed etc, but it won't fire even squinting wd40 into air intake???? I thought I had a fuel injector pump problem but the wd40 element has thrown that idea really, so I'm stuck????? :(
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I should mention I have bled fuel through to injector pump but it is then not then pumping to injector (line is clear). So fuel is fine from tank, to filter from lift pump & from filter to injector pump, so not sure if that's a separate issue to it not firing get on wd40?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Danny, my name is***** engine needs 2 things to run, compression and fuel. WD40 is a fuel and a diesel will run on that. So if it will not run on WD40, the engine has a lack of compression. In the shop we would compression test the engine first just to see what kind of numbers it has. After that we would check the valve adjustments to see if the valves are to tight, causing the compression to leak past the valves. If the valve adjustment is within specification, then the next step would be to remove the cylinder head and see if either the valves are damaged. Or see if the cylinder walls have heavy scratches in them. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason
Thanks for your response. It makes sense, but the engine itself has only done very few hours as the couple who owned it died shortly after buying it from new, so it's sat on the hard for many years and everything seems very tight, compression seems good and I wouldn't think much scaring has occurred?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Low hours means the engine has been sitting for a long time, without running, and that is very bad for any engine. When the engine sits ruts forms on the cylinder rings, cylinder walls, and the valves. What happens is when you go to start the engine, the rings scrape the rust of the cylinder walls, and this causes the fit between the rings and the walls to become loose, which lowers compression. On the valve side of things, when rust forms on the valves, the valves simply will not seat and seal correctly. This doesn't have anything to do with the injection pump or anything else. The engine doesn't need to have an injection pump on it, or even diesel fuel in the tank, to run on WD40. The engine should run as long as you keep spraying WD40 down the intake. I do not know what you have for diesel tools. But the first step is a compression test just to get a baseline number. It would need to be 300 psi or better for the diesel fuel to self ignite. After you get the baseline number, the valve clearance get checked next. If those look like they are in spec, the cylinder head would have to come off for further inspection. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just one, I can get that checked out but do you have any idea why fuel is not getting past my injector pump? I can't seem to see a bleed valve on it, does it have one? Thanks for your assistance Jason.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Did you crack the fuel lines at the injector to see if you are getting fuel there while cranking?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes and nothing coming through
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Okay the next question would be are you sure you are getting fuel to the injection pump? The test here would be to remove the fuel line between the lift pump and injection pump, pump the primer lever on the lift pump, and see if you get a sizable amount of fuel with each pump.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We did that and it was coming through to the injector pump OK?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
The engine more than likely needs to be bled. To properly bleed these you would crack the fuel line open at the injector, open the throttle to full. Pump the primer lever on the lift pump until it gets firm, and then attempt to start the engine. If it will not normally start, then get it running on WD40. Once fuel starts to come out at the threads on the injector you would tighten it back up. That is the proper way to bleed it. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
It looks like you read my response and logged off without leaving a rating for my service, did you have any further questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out until a rating is put through. If you do have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, I would ask that you kindly rate my service. You can still come back later on for a follow up to this if you need to. Thanks again,Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Danny, how are we making out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason
I'm sorry for the delay in replying. I appreciate your time but unfortunately you were suggesting things I had tried. My issue was fuel was making its way to the fuel injector pump but nothing from injector feed valve, I didn't feel your compression element was correct (sorry), so I took out the pump and tried another from a local boat scrap yard, it fired up straight away with no smoke and great exhaust output, so all good now. At least it's something you can bare in mind for future questions I guess ☺.RegardsDanny
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
But it still wouldn't fire on WD40?