Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

No water from my sx drive to the raw water pump with muffs

Customer Question

No water from my sx drive to the raw water pump with muffs or in the water, water flows from the inlet hose where it connects to the raw water pump back out the out drive when I stuck a water hose in it, so maybe blown water inlet tube in the out drive?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No water to the raw water pump on my Volvo penta 4.3. When I hook up the muffs and disconnect the raw water inlet hose to the pump, no water is flowing, except at a pretty high pressure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What year is the sterndrive? When was the last time the impeller was serviced?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
New impeller installed yesterday, engine number matched impeller installed,*****SX. I may pull impeller off again and double check oring, and really check the base plate.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
On these engines the water side of things is under a very light suction. And sometimes cooling water muffs simply will not work, especially if you have any kind of aeration or water saver device on the garden hose. Really what you want to do is put the boat in the water, and through displacement the weight of the boat will push water up the water passageway in the sterndrive and into the seawater pump. After you put the boat in the water you can do 1 of 2 things. Either start it and see if it over heats or not. Or, pull the water pumps inlet hose and see if you are getting cooling water to it. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I did that and no water flow to engine, either raw water pump is not priming, or hose in outdrive is blown/not sealed. I am going to pull impeller and double check oring and seating, thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
The water line between the outer transom plate and the sterndrive do split over time. And that would cause the pump not to be able to pull a prime. What you can do there is pull the inlet hose off the seawater pump, stick your garden hose in it. Have a helper hold it as tightly as possibly. And then go poking in the transom from the outside and see if you can find any leaks. Do you have any further questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will try that, should the water just flow out of the side intake grills? Thanks, ***** ***** questions
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Correct, it should only flow out of the intake grates. If you end up having a hard time seeing if that water line is leaking or not, cup your hands over those intake grates in order to try and build a little pressure in the line. If it's leaking, you'll see it. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason