Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have1984 mercruiser 470 with bad lower unit gear ratio 1.84

Customer Question

I have1984 mercruiser 470 with bad lower unit gear ratio 1.84 can I put different unit in and want year and gear ratio to keep it about the same
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: can't find a 1.84 gear ratio near by found some different units want to know can use them and stay range of top end and fuel efficiency I would like go to a lower gear ratio for fishing
JA: Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? When you say you found some "different units", are you looking at used ones or new ones?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
It looks like you read my response, the website has charged you to speak with me, did you still need help with this?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
It looks like you are reading my replies and not responding back, so I am not sure if the website is giving you troubles or not. Just in case you are having troubles replying I will leave you with this. You can use any sterndrive from 72 to 1990 with a 1.84 ratio. You can also get away with using a 1.65 ratio if you change the propeller. If you want a new sterndrive, what you would want is an aftermarket drive from a company called SEI. SEI's are Mercruiser clones, and they are a great deal at 1300 (compared to 3500 for a factory drive) and they also come with a 3 year no fault warranty. Click this link below, this is exactly the one you would want. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason