Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Mercury 9.9 four stroke, sits sometimes but I always

Customer Question

mercury 9.9 four stroke, sits sometimes for weeks but I always run fuel out and store in garage. primer ball hard on board primer no fuel. checked fuel connector and lines full flow with ball. seems gas not reaching carb. will not run. has small plastic filter on fuel line. could it be the pump?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Tried to start ball stays hard choke, but no run. fuel is fresh. small onboard primer does not seem to be moving fuel. feels like fuel blocked from reaching carb
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Mark, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. If the primer bulb is firming up then fuel is making it to the carb. How old is the fuel you are trying to burn? Have you tried any starting fluid to see if the engine will hit on that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
fuel is fresh, did run briefly but only for a minute. have not tried starting fluid. small primer bulb on motor does not seem to pump up fuel
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
What is the serial number on the engine? All Mercs are cataloged by serial and I would need to run yours to see which version of the 9.9 that you have.