Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

How do I put the retaining clip back on the slip shaft of my

Customer Question

How do I put the retaining clip back on the slip shaft of my 25 hp mercury outboard, I can't seem to get the shaft out far enough to clip it in
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.Can you turn the prop freely currently, or is it locked?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is turning freely
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
Do you happen to have the control in FWD?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no it is in neutral
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
About how far would you sat the holes are apart?Any chance that you can post a pic here of it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is just the little locking device with a pin that clips over the small shaft. this shaft got accidentally push in a little and now wont come out far enough for the clip to slip behind the collar
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
Yes, I know the system well. Try to slowly turn the shift handle toward reverse while you try and align the pin and the shaft. Often the gear case will be bumped into REV when installing it. You also may need to get a small, ling screwdriver and try to move the shaft from under the lower pan to align the holes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The pin goes into place ok but the shaft that it clips over isn't out far enough for it to clip behind the collar
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
Could I get your serial number please, I will get you a diagram if the system.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Serial No. is OT517196
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
See is you can push the bar 13 over to get the clip on it. https://public-mercurymarine.sysonline.com/Default.aspx?sysname=NorthAmericacompany=GuestNA_KEY=NA_KEY_VALUElangIF=englangDB=eng