Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2002 Yamaha 150 TXRA. Oil from the large tank is

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Yamaha 150 TXRA. Oil from the large tank is not being pumped up to the small, engine mounted reservoir. The dealer says that it needs a new CDI unit as well as a pump that is mounted on the side of the tank. I don't see how the CDI controls the oil pump. Is he feeding me a line to sell me the CDI at $1100? Why would I not be having other issues if the CDI was bad?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no, that's it thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? The dealer is correct in saying the CDI does control oil transfer. Basically the CDI receives signal from the engine mounted oil tank, and if it detects that the engine tank is low, the CDI in turn turns oil the oil transfer pump inside of the remote tank. When testing the oil transfer system what is done is the float in the engine tank gets tested first with an ohm meter. If that is a pass then the oil pump gets tested next by either jumping it to 12V or seeing if it runs by hitting the emergency switch on the engine. Again it is a simple pass or fail test. Lastly, there is an oil level switch inside of the remote tank as well. If the remote oil tank is low, or if the CDI thinks it is because the oil level switch in the remote tank is bad, the CDI will not turn on the oil transfer pump. If the float sensor in the engine tank is good, and the float switch in the remote tank is good, and if the oil pump does test good, the only possibility is a bad CDI. And unfortunately they can and do go bad. In most cases what happens is the oil pump gets clogged with debris or trash, this causes the pump to draw to much current, that excess current burns out the control circuit inside of the CDI. As far as other having other issues with the CDI goes. The CDI handles 3 functions. It handles ignition control, it handles, the alarm system and power reduction, and it handles oil transfer. An easy way to think of it is inside of the CDI box there are 3 separate circuit boards. Each board controls a function. Any combination of the 3 boards can burn out. For example the ignition can work, the oil transfer can work, and the alarm system can not work. Does that make sense? Do you have any further questions on the issue, or does that cover it for you?Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
It looks like you read my answer and logged off without putting a rating through for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out until a rating is put through. If you do have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, I would ask that you kindly rate my service. You can still come back later on for a follow up to this if you need to. Thanks again,Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Hello, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?Thanks,Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.
Hello, just checking in. How are we making out?