Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

1973 johnson 25hp wont run JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

1973 johnson 25hp wont run
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I jave checked compression, spark, and fuel. Seems like carb is flooding. As i can see gas on the butterfly flap. The carb float is adjusted properly but not sure on the needle for the rich and lean as it looks like it has been taken out before and may not have been put backnin properly. Any way to find out how to adjust the needle?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** inlet needle adjustment is set at 1.5 turns from lightly seated. Pull the linkage off the idle jet turn the jet in till it just does bottom out then turn screw counter clockwise 1.5 turns. This is the initial setting put engine in the water let warm up then fine tune the idle jet to achieve the best idle. Turn jet clock wise for less fuel and counter clock wise for more fuel. If you squeeze the primer bulb does fuel run out the front of the carburetor? Does the primer bulb get firm?