Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Evinrude 150 etec: Just brought a 2010 etec 150 used engine

Customer Question

Just brought a 2010 etec 150 used engine hrs 178 2nd power head emm had 350hrs no faults but I see a lot of oil all around the block and in the air intakes is this normal. I was going to clean it up and check for leaks. Any ideas last engine was 1978 150hp Johnson
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Hi Vincent, my name is***** answer your question directly, no, it is not normal. So the next step would be to clean it up and check for leaks. That being said, can you tell if the oil that you see is 2 stroke oil? Or not?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It looks like sticky honey so to speak by the rear under the ecm there is oil tubes that's covered and that is fuel pump I think thats covered.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Honestly what that sounds like is somebody took a can of WD40 or some other kind of oil based anticorrosion spray and just hosed the engine. If you can not find a definite oil leak, then that is almost certainly the cause Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
It looks like you read my reply and logged off. I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Vince, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?Thanks,Jason