Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My westerbeke 30B has 3000 hrs with regular preventive mx.

Customer Question

My westerbeke 30B has 3000 hrs with regular preventive mx. It has been very reliable yet lately every twenty or thirty hours of run time in my sailboat - once every couple of months - the engine will die, alarms sound and after shut down when restarted it will only rev to 500 rpm then stall after ten to twenty seconds. Left shut down for a few hours it once again starts and runs perfectly. There is no water in the tank nor any sign of algae or debris. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** like a fuel starvation issue.Do you have a vacuum gauge on the fuel supply line? Have you changed both fuel filters? Does the engine run better after fuel filter change?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No vacuum guage and no noticeable difference in running after change.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok we need to do this test. With engine running and acting up loosen the fuel supply line to each injector. Does the engine drop rpms? This will get a little messy as the fuel will squirt at the fitting. We are determining if the cylinders are firing.If the cylinders react the same then we need to do a vacuum fuel supply test. Connect a vacuum gauge to the fuel supply line and monitor vacuum. The vacuum should net exceed 5 inches of vacuum. Post back with findings. You have an injector issue or a fuel starvation issue.