Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I am converting my Rinker fiesta vee 265 boat from

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
I am converting my Rinker fiesta vee 265 boat from inboard to outboard engines.
I am seriously thinking to remove the seacock & close the haul.
My question is what exactly the benefit of the seacock, what will is the worst case scenario if I remove it from my boat.
April 6th, 2016
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jallaith, my name is***** seacock is used to feed cooling water to an inboard engine. Outboard engines do not require seacocks because they pickup cooling water with the lower unit portion of the outboard. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i need more details because i have some boats with outboard engine has the seacock
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
I think that you might be confused as to what a seacock is, so I want to ask you a question back. What do you think a seacock is used for? If I asked you to describe to me what a seacock is used for, what would you say?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if i know why i should contact you.go to you tube & you will see many of outbard engine boat has a seacock.please as expert tell me additional to calling the inboard engine .. what seacock for
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
A seacock is a valve that is used for allowing sea water into the boat, for any reason. The most common reason for doing this is to cool an inboard engine. A less common reason would be to use sea water to flush a toilet. Do you have any reason to allow sea water into your boat other than cooling an inboard engine?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Does that make sense to you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not happy with your answer.if that the reason .. then why the boat with outboard engine has the seacock in the same place
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
To answer that you have to answer the question of what is the seacock providing seawater to? Can you tell me what this boat with the outboard engine is using a seacock for? What is it providing water to? Is it a toilet? A livewell for fish?