Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I acquired a 1958 OWENS YACHT Co. 16 ft. inboard

Customer Question

Dear sir; I acquired a 1958 OWENS YACHT Co. 16 ft. inboard runabout boat that is
powered a Owens Flagship 4 cylinder engine (4 stroke ) that I decided to restore as
a project (I an 80 and bored ).... and I cant find a TDC mark on the flywheel.....
Any ideas where I can find a starting point and where No 1 cylinder and the firing
order might be ????.
Respectfully Submitted: BOB CHATTERTON
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Bob, First to find both TDC and firing order you need to take off the valve cover. You are going to turn the engine in it's normal rotation until you see the #1 intake valve open. Now take a small rod or piece of coat hanger, gently stick it in the #1 spark plug hole and use it to feel the piston come all the way to the top. When it is all the way up you will be able to move the crank back and forth just a bit and the piston will not move. Split this distance and that is TDC on #1. You can make your own timing mark at that point. Now, normal firing order is 1-3-4-2 but to check for sure simply keep rotating the crank around and watch for the intake valves to open, the cylinder that opens next is the next in the firing order. I add this because some camshaft makers changed firing orders back in the day for perceived performance improvements, heck, they still do it, LOL.