Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness

Having a problem with my 2002 Suzuki 4-stroke "surging". JA:

Customer Question

Having a problem with my 2002 Suzuki 4-stroke "surging".
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Have completely cleaned (and replaced many of the hoses and filter) the entire fuel system. It only surges in neutral now at/above 2500-3K rpm. Goes up to 5K in gear with no issues. This is in driveway with cooling hose connected. Hesitant to take on the water.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Not really, except temp light/alarm comes on if I run it above 2K for long (DUH). Cools down at idle. Nice healthy stream out of water pump.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 months ago.
The system is hitting the rev limiter because you are in neutral. The injection will cut fuel to keep it from over revving. You should be fine to take it to the water.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was hoping that was the answer. Going out tomorrow.
If I get stuck on the lake, I will blame you (LOL).Thanx, Tom
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 months ago.
Wouldn't be the first time! LOL
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
GOODBYE!!Thanx again
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for using our service.