Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I'm trying to take off the lower gearcase on my evinrude 25

Customer Question

I'm trying to take off the lower gearcase on my evinrude 25 hp so I can replace the water pump. I have all the bolts off and took the water intake screens off and started turning the lower to nuts hoping to get it loose. I read above that I needed to loosen only the top nut. Can I rescrew the lower nut back down without having issues when I put it back together?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I haven't taken the lower gearcase off yet as it wouldn't come off by taking the 5 bolts out. So I took the water intake screens off to try to disengage the shifter rod so I can get at the water pump
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** you can just screw it back down till it seats. Once you have unscrewed the top retainer nut remove the plastic retainer # ***** so the shift shaft will slide out of the nut allowing removal of the lower unit. Post back with questions.