Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness

How can I remove a 454 7.4 L 340 HP V-8 engine from a 1989

Customer Question

how can I remove a 454 7.4 L 340 HP V-8 engine from a 1989 Sea Ray aft cabin boat, while the boat is still in the water?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 months ago.
I have never done that particular model, but an aft cabin we did was similar, so I may be able to give you some ideas. We used a "cherry picker" auto engine crane on plywood and a come along to move the engine to the salon. Then used a winch cable mounted to a travel lift to raise the engine from the boat and to land. If you can use the cherry picker to move it around in the cabin, and then have access from above where you can drop the cable in, that should do it. If you don't have a travel lift there, sometimes a tow truck with his boom extended can lift it. (Big truck, boat sideways against a bulkhead)