Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

Why isn't my fuel pump ball getting hard on my 2006 sea swirl

Customer Question

Why isn't my fuel pump ball getting hard on my 2006 sea swirl striper 2101 Yamaha 200 engine
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Christopher, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Can you feel fuel flow through the bulb when you pump it? Are you seeing or smelling any fuel at the outboard? What is the model number on the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Outboard Yamaha 200 4 stroke not sure of model#. No I am not feeling fuel through the bulb when I pump it. No I am not smelling or seeing fuel at the outboard. Tried to start it and it feels like it does not want to spark.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Have you verified the tank has gas in it? Is there any kind of fuel shutoff valve on your tank?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm starting to smell gas from the engine. The gas gauge says it has fuel and There is no shut off valve
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Step 1 is going to be to see if the primer bulb is actually working, as they do go bad. What you want to do here is disconnect the fuel line from the fuel tank, take the end of that fuel line and just stick it down into the mouth of a gas can filled with gas, and then pump the bulb and see if you can feel fuel flow through it that way. If you can not feel fuel flow, the problem is a bad bulb and you can go ahead and replace that. But if you can feel fuel, and the bulb does firm up, then there is a problem with your fuel tank that we need to look at further. Does that make sense? Is that test something you an do on your own and get back to me on?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Chris, It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.ThanksJason
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Chris, just checking in. How are we making out?