Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a MerCruser boat model 1972

Customer Question

I have a MerCruser boat model 1972 made by Renken Boat Mfg. is an open vessel 17 footer fiberglass hull.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The probles is that when I use it it start immediatly and works fine for 5,10 or 15 minutes then sudenly the motor STOPS, If I wait for a while the motor start again and works for a few minutes and dies again, this is driving me crazy and I have gone to mecanics and hey told me they dont work in motors so old because they loose money. I dont know what to do because I invest part of my savings in this boat.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: the motor is inboard model MCM120
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine model and serial number please? You have one of 2 issues fuel starvation or loss of spark. When the engine quits check for spark at the ignition coil. Do you have spark? Then if you have spark remove the flame arrestor from the top of the carburetor and pump the throttle do you see fuel squirting down the throat of the carburetor?Post back with questions and findings.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the motor model is MCM120, displacement 153 CID, serial No.(###) ###-####I see that you already charged me $26.00 and there is supposed to be a free trial with a %.00 deposit I dont understand this, explain please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
5.00 dollar for a free trial deposit
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
I will send you over to customer service.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not a mechanic how do I check if the ignition coil does spark??
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
To test for spark you will need a spark gap tester or hold the coil wire 1/2" from the top of the coil and crank engine over.