Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1987 Hino EH700 with water in the oil what could be

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Hino EH700 with water in the oil what could be the cause?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** is a couple of ways oil can get into the oil. Blown head gasket or bad oil cooler. Is the engine running poorly?If you remove the cooling water lines from the oil cooler do you see signs of oil in the water?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Tan,
Thanks for your speedy reply.
I will give you a little more history on this engine. About 5 years ago.
The engine had water seep into one of the cylinders with out my knowledge and bent a rod when trying to start.
A mechanic replaced the bad rods all sleeves and pistons he also had the head magnifluxed. No cracks were found.
The engine continued to use about a cup of coolant per every 25 miles after the repairs. There is no loss of coolant while the boat is in the slip, only when running.
I changed the oil 3 months ago no water was in the oil at that time. Yesterday I let the boat run for an hour in the slip then checked it afterwards and noticed the coolant was low, I then noticed a milky substance out of the blow by on the air filter, I opened the oil fill and noticed milky oil on the inside of the cap. The engine ran fine for that hour with the temp at 170. There was however a little more smoke from the exhaust than normal, I figured it was from not running for awhile.
I hope this extra info will help you pinpoint the problem. I won't be back at the boat for 3 or 4 days to check the oil cooler.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Ok all this points to blown gasket. Loss of coolant smoking and milky oil. All of these point to a head gasket issue. There is a kit you can get to find out if this is the case. This kit will let us know if it is a head gasket. When you blow a head gasket you will get exhaust gases into the combustion chamber. This kit will tell us if this is the problem. The oil cooler won't cause the coolant to leak and will not cause smoke. If you smell the exhaust it will have a sweet smell to it. That is coolant burning in the conbustion chamber. Post back with questions and findings.8&gws_rd=ssl#q=combustion+chamber+leak+test+kit&tbm=shop
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Tan,
I will look into the test systems.
Can I contact you later this week with my findings?
Thanks for your support,
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Yes you can Wes even after positively rating you can always come back. There is no extra charge for follow up questions on this subject. I will be available all of next week. 8 to 5 PST.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate your input it is very helpful.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Your welcome......Keep me posted...Thank you.....Tan