Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I replaced my impeller on my 1996 evinrude pull start motor

Customer Question

I replaced my impeller on my 1996 evinrude pull start motor due to it stopped pumping water with the ears on motor I dissembled and replaced but saw nothing wrong with impeller?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I was running my motor off of the hose due to powe pack failure and it stopped pumping. I replaced impeller and installed all new including housing found no problems with old stuff. what else could stop water from pumping?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** tell tale hose and fittings can clog with debris very easily. Pull the hose off the fitting at the motor and the tell tale and clear fittings. If you have compressed air you can blow back through the tell tale and clear the line also.Did you replace the thermostat as well some models the t-stat can stick shut and cause this type of failure.Is the engine over heating? Post back with questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I pulled copper tube out and checked for blockage all clear I did not replace thermostat where is it located most likely problem I checked and made sure because I took it out again. T stat is where
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.
I have to know what engine you are working on to give you that info.I'm not talking about the water, I am referring to the indicator that squirts water out the side of the engine to indicate whether you are pumping water or not. This is what gets clogged.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I took hose off back of engine the hose is clear I have not blown air into fitting on back of block.
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.
Pull the hose off the fitting at the motor/block and the tell tale and clear fittings. If you have compressed air you can blow back through the tell tale and clear the line also.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Going to try I will get back with you it is raining. It's a 1996 25 horsepower pull start evInrude starts 1 pull all the time I ran it for about a minute after replacing power pack and it stopped pumping
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.
Ok you might want to check the thermostat if the tell tale is clear. The thermostat # ***** is under the water cover # ***** on the cylinder head # ***** This is just a guess of your model number. If this doesn't look like your motor I will need engine model number.