Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

So i have a 1993 Yamaha 200 outboard I just rebuilt it everything worked g

Customer Question

So i have a 1993 Yamaha 200 outboard carburetor
I just rebuilt it everything worked great for the first 20hr break in went out last weekend and the engine started to miss a bit then droped the whole cylinder sounded like a plug because dbl oil so changed plug still no good. Spark test jumps tester 7/8 inch on all six ,compression 90 but 1 its 85 ,checked carbs spotless , im stuck thinking its cdi or something electronic whats your thoughts
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Hi Kenneth, my name is ***** ***** have a timing light in order to check and see if it is sparking under a load?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did have but appears the pick up in side broken
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Okay you are going to need to get your hands on one. Places like autozone do free loaners on them. What you would need to do is hook up the pickup lead to each plug wire one at a time and see if the light flashes conistantly with engine rpm, or if it's erratic or not flashing at all. The other thing is your compression is on the low side. You would want to try a different compression gauge and see if the compression comes up some or if it stays the same. Let me know what happens
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there any way to bench test stator cdi or trigers
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
The trigger is testable with a volt ohm meter, the CDI is not. Before you get into disconnecting it and testing it you would want to see if one of the cylinders was actually dropping spark or not first.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok off to get a timing light
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Okay keep me posted
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So does the engine have to be under a load to test with timing light
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Depends. If the engine only misses under a load then yes. But if it will miss when running in the driveway then no.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So timing light showed 2 coils with intermittent spark under load so i moved the coils around and the problem followed the coil . Think i may still have a weak 1 so ill replace that 1 alsoThanks
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
If the problem followed the coil then it's going to be bad coils. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ken.It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.ThanksJason
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Hello, just checking in. How we doing?